Sunday, May 9, 2010

Nevertheless


5.9.2010

Matthew 26:39 39 And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.”

The temptation for me in reading Matthew 26 is to possibly arrive at the conclusion that Jesus was somehow wimping out at the last moment in the garden before He was betrayed, tried, and crucified. We might read this and think He wasn’t so strong after all. But the writer of Hebrews helps us out by saying, “…looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.” (Heb 12:2 ESV) Yes, the Lord did a tough thing; yes, it was unimaginably difficult but He wasn’t wimping out; He was submitting Himself to God’s plan.

That’s what I’m called to – submission; and often submission is difficult and humiliating but it is God’s will for my life no matter how I feel about it; and the sooner I get it, the better.

Jesus’ death on the cross was way nastier than I imagine and what I don’t see some 2000 years later, is the full picture – that viewpoint awaits me in heaven. All I know is this; however difficult it was and no matter what it may look like in my fallen mind, Jesus went to the cross with the greater view in mind and if that’s what it took to secure my salvation, then praise His holy Name! It’s not that difficult for me and I can, when looking to Him, say to God in my circumstances (whatever they are and however painful or embarrassing they may appear to be) “Nevertheless, not as I will but as You will!”

Father in Heaven,
You are looking for hearts that will trust You and submit. I am called in Christ to submit knowing at least in part that every time I do something is gained in heaven and my heart is further strengthened to withstand some of the present onslaught for which Jesus Christ gave His life. Lord, help me – not as I will but as You will! In His Name, amen.

No comments: