Saturday, May 8, 2010

Covered and Cover-Ups


5.8.2010

Ps 32:1-2 1 Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. 2 Blessed is the man against whom the Lord counts no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit. ESV

There is a big difference between covered and cover-up. A cover-up cost a US President his job in 1973. A series of cover-ups nagged and limited another President for eight years. There is a huge difference between covered and cover-ups.

Covered means the debt is paid. Covered means a hideous wound has been adequately bandaged. Covered means forgiven. And blessed is the person whose sin is covered. It’s all in how one approaches sin for the writer goes on to say that a blessed man is one against whom the Lord counts no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit. He knows the truth about what he’s done, owns up to it and seeks to modify his life so he doesn’t repeat it – he’s covered; he’s taken care of, and the matter is dealt with; with no remaining balance on the statement.

In order to be covered I must go to the Lord and admit my transgressions and sin. In order to be blameless I must own up to my true condition before God and seek His covering – not my own cover-up. What is covered is forgiven and forgotten; what is covered up will one day be revealed and all will know who I really was and what I really did. That sounds really bad, humiliating to the highest degree, and very painful with deep consequences.

Lord God,
Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the [one] against whom the Lord counts no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit. Father, may I learn the blessing of true confessing and may my sins be covered. Help me to be truthful and not deceptive – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: