Monday, May 10, 2010

RUN


5.10.2010

Matthew 27:19 19 Besides, while he was sitting on the judgment seat, his wife sent word to him, “Have nothing to do with that righteous man, for I have suffered much because of him today in a dream.”

I don’t know if we’ll ever be told what the dream was about that Pilate’s wife had – whatever it was it was a nightmare. And she did come to the conclusion that Jesus was a righteous man.

I could speculate that God was trying to communicate with her and she was responding the only way she knew how: RUN; judgment and conviction often can do weird things to people. I can also speculate that her message to her husband caused him to chicken out on how he should’ve handled the situation – sometimes such is the influence of a spouse.

I can speculate that whatever the dream was it scared the crap out of her, and she had to do something – like run; pagans aren’t comfortable in the Presence of the Real Thing.

And, I can also learn that when God reveals Himself I can listen, learn, and respond. Where Pilate’s wife stopped short, I can keep going – God what do You want; what do You want me to do, to know!? Responding to God, no matter how fearful, is better by far than running from Him because running is an exercise in futility… One way or t’other, God always gets His man (or woman or child…).

Father in Heaven,
Your grace caused You to reach out to that pagan woman and she did only what she knew to do. I ask that You help me to do what I know to do when things get nightmarish – may I run to You with my heart open to hear and my soul willing to obey. Father, help me to hear and obey today; I pray in that Righteous Man’s Name, amen.

No comments: