Tuesday, May 25, 2010

How I Think is Who I Am


5.25.2010

Romans 6:11 11 So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus. ESV

In Proverbs it says, “Do not eat the bread of a man who is stingy; do not desire his delicacies, for he is like one who is inwardly calculating. “ Eat and drink!” he says to you, but his heart is not with you.” (Pr 23:6-7 ESV). His heart isn’t with you because he cares about his money more than he cares about you and what he presents as generosity is really just a ploy for him to gain more of your money – he doesn’t care about you at all. We quote this verse often to make the point that what goes on in our hearts comes out in who we really are.

So when Paul says, “So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus” what he’s saying is, as a man thinks in his heart so is he. Considering ourselves dead to sin and alive to God is how we overcome and stay connected with God in true and lasting relationship; it’s all in how we look at ourselves.

One of the greatest ploys of satan is convincing the unsaved that he is; and the saved that he’s not. Paul’s answer: you also must [daily and moment by moment] consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God. That’s the point of our faith – how we believe in Who we believe.

How I think about my life and the purpose of my life makes all the difference. Not only must I consider myself dead to sin and alive to God but I must consider how I can partner with God to accomplish His purposes this day in His way.

Lord God,
How can I see it more plainly than the way You’ve already made it? You have given me life to overcome death and I am to believe what You say and consider myself accordingly. Help my mind to be strong and my consideration to be right – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: