Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Strong Faith

11.30.2010

Romans 4:20 20 No distrust made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God… ESV

This verse doesn’t say that Abraham didn’t have mistrust; it is obvious from his story in Genesis he did. What it does say is that any mistrust Abraham had didn’t make him waver in his faith in God’s promise, and over time his faith in God only grew stronger; and every time it did God got all the glory. That is the life of Abraham, the father of the faith, and the example for everyone who follows in his footsteps.

Whatever is going on in our lives (past, present, or future) is there to help us grow in our faith because with strong faith comes rich reward. And with rich reward the ability to walk through life the way Jesus Himself did, by the Spirit and in complete trust in God. And God is all about strong faith because there are things that God wants to do through each of us that will take strong faith to accomplish because without strong faith is the weakness of unbelief.

I think strong faith ultimately withstands the whining, wearying, wasting effect of worry. When we worry we are primed to give in to the notion that God is somehow limited when it comes to our circumstances. He might take care of everyone else but when it comes to us, somehow He’s limited. When worry shows up is when we need to remember that life was intended to be lived out on the balls of our feet in action, not on our heels in reaction. Strong faith will even kill worry.

The lesson for me today is to not waver and give God the glory. I am to pray, praise and thank Him for what He’s doing in me, for me and especially – in this world of doubt, mistrust and worry – through me.

Father in Heaven,
Every day is a brand new gift from You to walk as Abraham did, strong in faith. My prayer today is thanksgiving that You are with me and I am in You. My petition is, help me this day to live on my toes in faithful action rather than on my heels in worry – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: