Monday, November 15, 2010

Make Sure He Knows

11.15.2010

2 Corinthians 2:5-8 6 For such a one, this punishment by the majority is enough, 7 so you should rather turn to forgive and comfort him, or he may be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. 8 So I beg you to reaffirm your love for him. ESV

What a picture Paul paints for us on how to treat one among us who falls. If what I am told is correct, Paul is referring to the Corinthian brother in chapter 5 of 1 Corinthians who has fallen morally. Paul said we are to exclude a member of the family who sins and (I’m assuming) denies his actions. Apparently some knew about it because Paul was told and commanded them to correct the situation. So they did what he told them to do but now (again assuming) several months have passed and Paul now tells them to forgive and comfort the sinning one and bring him back into fellowship lest he be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. Some sorrow is necessary. More sorrow is redemptive. Excessive sorrow is damaging. Grace covers all.

I had to stop and reflect about this one – I’m not sure what I’d do and I’m not sure how to think about the one who sins – I think our society is mostly too afraid to confront the situation and do what is right. Somehow we seem to think it’s no one’s business what another does or how one acts even though that one may call himself a brother in the Lord.

Tonight I’m thinking about two prisoners – one guilty of murder and one guilty of sex with minors; both known to me and both claiming son-ship in the Lord. I pray that both will be spared the pain and loss of excessive sorrow and that both will remain strong in their faith regardless of their crimes… I’m also thinking about how I think of them – they are truly my Kingdom relatives who’ve been caught up in their actions and are suffering the consequences for their sin. They need my love, my pity, and my prayers. My hope is they remain strong in their faith…

Father in Heaven,
Your word says You are the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. (2 Co 1:3-4) Tonight I pray for my friends and family members who are sitting out their sentences and await the day when society says they have paid for their crimes. I pray that You strengthen them in their faith and teach them to trust You with all of what they’ve done and where they are as a result. I pray that we have courage in the church to get to know one another deeply and to confront one another lovingly but firmly when necessary so that by doing so we could hopefully avoid possible prison sentences by hopefully avoiding possible criminal activity. Fill us with the Holy Spirit to love one another and lay done our lives for each other; keep us safe in holy peace. Big prayer – Big God; amen.

No comments: