Monday, November 29, 2010

Behavior and Belief

11.29.2010

1 Thessalonians 4:1 Finally, then, brothers, we ask and urge you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God, just as you are doing, that you do so more and more. ESV

There are two separate principles at work here; the first is how they walked according to how they were taught; and the second is their pleasing God by trusting in Him and all He’s done on their behalf.

Often we get the two confused and turned around. We think we can please God by how we act and so we attempt to act properly. But when we came to Christ did anyone ask us to behave or were we asked to believe? You can always spot religion because it’s all about behavior. Salvation is based upon belief in the finished work of God through Jesus Christ.

Marriage is all about belief, not behavior – at least it’s supposed to be. My relationship with my wife is built upon a promise given to faithfully be her lawfully wedded husband for better or worse, in sickness and health, in wealth and poverty, loving only her until death. Marriage is a relationship built on a promise, not how often I take out the garbage. My behavior may set the tone of our ability to get along, but it isn’t the foundation of marriage – belief is.

My relationship with God is not based upon my behavior (thank You Lord!); my relationship with Him is based upon a belief that He is who He is and He loves me for who I am. Behavior is based upon belief not the other way around. We walk as we ought because we believe in Whom we believe.

Father in Heaven,
You are interested in my holiness but that is only through faith in Your finished work and my accepting it; trusting in all You’ve done. Help me to walk today in belief and because I do may my behavior lend credence to what I believe – in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: