Tuesday, November 9, 2010

In the Reality of Its Truth

11.9.2010

1 Co 6:3 3 Do you not know that we are to judge angels? How much more, then, matters pertaining to this life! ESV

What if we really believed what the Bible said about us? What if we lived out our lives in the reality of its truth?

This morning Paul’s question to the Corinthians hit me like a bucket of cold water. I admit it; I don’t often think about questions like, “Do you not know that we are to judge angels?” To which I would respond, ‘Really!?’ It seems like questions like this and the others he asks of the Corinthians point to another kind of life that I don’t often (rarely, almost never) consider. I’m not sure what judging angels is, or what it entails; but it appears that it needs to happen and God is raising up a nation of judges to do such a work. Wow!

What if I really believed the Bible and what it says about me? What if I lived out my days on earth in the reality of its truth? What if I began to live now in such a way so that God could teach me about what it is I’m to do in the next life? What if I were to live today with the mindset of, “Oh yeah, the Bible does say that!”

This morning, I’m looking at life a little differently. This morning, the magnitude of my sin and failure isn’t quite so impressive. This morning, I see that God indeed has big plans for me (and everyone else) and I need to be aware of them, and desperately need His help to fulfill them, (or better yet) to cooperate with Him as He fulfills them in me…

Father in Heaven,
Lord, help me to get it that there is way more to this life than I usually see. Help me to see that Your plans for me and my brothers and sisters goes way beyond what we can hope for or imagine. Help me to live in the reality of what You say about me in Your word – it sounds like I have a big job to fulfill later. Amen.

1 comment:

TH said...

http://www.blueletterbible.org/commentaries/comm_view.cfm?AuthorID=4&contentID=1740&commInfo=5&topic=1%20Corinthians&ar=1Cr_6_3

You might find this an interesting commentary on the subject as well...