Wednesday, November 24, 2010

More Than Enough

11.24.2010

Matthew 19:25 25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?” ESV

The above is a statement made by Jesus’ disciples when He debunked the fastly (almost universally) held belief that money could buy one everything – including favor with God. Then as now, they placed great value on great wealth. Truly, money is a medium but it is not the answer to life, as some suppose. Often, money is more of a problem than a relief. Often, those who suddenly come into great amounts of wealth within a short period of time wind up paupers. Money cannot buy salvation.

The Gospel is counterintuitive. If everyone else is saying, “Do it!” The gospel is usually saying, “Don’t do it!” or the other way around. Jesus’ command to the rich (young) man (in the story in which the above verse is found) was simply, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” Generosity was one part, submission to Christ is the other; all around it was counterintuitive to what people thought or believed.

I have often wished I had great sums of money. I have often dreamed of having enough money to escape to the south when the cold comes in from the north. But money is not the solution to my need – only Jesus is. And Jesus is way more than a solution – He’s my friend. My passion in life is to recognize Him as such and then live accordingly. Although I don’t necessarily like it, I’m learning the twin sister of the blessing of two million dollars is two million problems. Counter-intuitively, with treasure in Heaven, there is hope one day of eternally enjoying every bit of it, with everlasting peace and joy.

Father in Heaven,

All of You is more than enough for
All of me for every thirst and every need
You satisfy me with Your love
And all I have in You is more than enough*

That is my song (with thanks to Chris Tomlin) and my prayer today, through Jesus Christ, amen.

*Enough, Chris Tomlin, Not to Us, September 2002, Six Steps Records

No comments: