Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My Answer Makes the Difference

11.2.2010

Mark 11:33 33 So they answered Jesus, “We do not know.” And Jesus said to them, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I do these things.” ESV

Playing mental chess with God is a loss; God knows all the moves and knows what questions to ask and reveals our deepest character. God doesn’t really want to play who can outwit who anyway; He’s more interested in becoming our Friend. Many question the authority of God; many more question the authority of the Church. It seems to be a big human deal to know who is in charge and when God claims He is, mankind retorts, Says who!?”

Then the question becomes, well if God isn’t in charge, then who is? Who is in charge; the government? The problem arises when we are wronged and want justice. The problem arises when we cannot get along (and we’re good at that!) So who then is in charge and by what authority do we live? To say I don’t know is a horrible cop-out. I don’t know really means I am. But when I am is on the throne then it’s dog-eat-dog, survival of the fittest, and only the strong survive. What kind of a world is that?

It’s better for me that I know who is in charge and by whose authority I live than to say I don’t know. My knowing doesn’t erase man’s inhumanity to man, but it does provide consequences for those who insist they don’t know; and reward for those who say they do. And the question for me to live by is this: Who rules my life, God or me? My answer to that makes all the difference.

Father in Heaven,
I do know. I know Who is in charge, You are. I know that all things are under Your control regardless of how I perceive them and I know that I am loved and accepted by You. Help me to live today in peace knowing You are in complete control of all things and that Your eternal purposes are being worked out for the benefit of Your people by Your love, power and great goodness – amen.

No comments: