Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Place and a Purpose

11.11.2010

Psalm 122:3-4 3 Jerusalem—built as a city that is bound firmly together, 4 to which the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord, as was decreed for Israel, to give thanks to the name of the Lord. ESV

Jerusalem, a place with a purpose. Jerusalem was for centuries the center of worship for Israel. It was the place where the tribes were to come for their religious festivals; it was the place of the Temple, the centerpiece of worship for the people of God. Jerusalem was and it to this day, a special place for many – almost magical.

But Jerusalem was also a place of weakness and war. Jerusalem to this day is a place of controversy and sometimes chaos. Jerusalem, the purposed place was the destination of death on a hill outside the gates where Jesus bore, upon Himself, our sins in His death upon the cross. Jerusalem – decreed for Israel to be a place to give thanks to the Name of the Lord.

Today, the decreed place for God is in our heart; our spirit. Today, the Lord meets with us because to His own, He is in us. The purpose hasn’t changed; there is still a meeting place – and one day Jerusalem will regain her majesty as the City of the Great King. But for now, the sanctuary of God is in the heart of the humble; the space of the seeker.

I give thanks to the Lord when I realize it is only because of Him that I am where I am; have what I have; and have experienced what I’ve experienced. Thanking God is not for me just an expression but also the recognition of His presence and mercy in my life, and upon those who call on His Name. There is still a place and a purpose…

Father in Heaven,
Thank You for all You’ve done, do and are doing for me and my family in Christ. Thank You that Your ultimate purpose will be accomplished exactly as You’ve planned from before the beginning of time. Thank You that one day I will worship You in the New Jerusalem where the true temple will be Your tangible presence with me, in me; and with all who give thanks to the name of the Lord. Amen.

No comments: