Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Un-Coded Truth

10/25/2016

Job 16.5 But my mouth would encourage you; comfort from my lips would bring you relief. – Job

The dialogue in Job between Job and his friends often seems to boil down to a war of words – much like a current presidential election. I have a friend who sometimes reads my posts and even comments on them; I like it when he does. But he also posts some of the most vicious political polemics and I don’t like it when he does. Job didn’t like it when his friends called him a secret sinner

I sometimes read articles that I probably shouldn’t read where the authors use words that are too big for me. One of the big words is, schadenfreude (shodden – froy – deh). Schadenfreude is a German word for taking or deriving pleasure at another’s misfortunes. Schadenfreude is not as old as Job but it seems taking pleasure at other’s misfortunes is: Job’s friends were convinced Job was a secret sinner.

I watched the first part of the movie, The Imitation Game last night. I would’ve watched all of it, but these days, when bedtime calls, one obeys; or suffers for it the next morning… In the movie, the main character, Alan Turing (played by Benedict Cumberbatch) said this, “People speak in code; they say one thing, but mean another.” I thought about Job as I watched the movie.

And we do; we say one thing but mean another. And we do that all the time.

Job was innocent in his eyes. He didn’t ask for his misfortune and hadn’t a clue that the Almighty had given permission for him to suffer as he did. Job also hadn’t a clue that God loved him. He thought all he did out of his obedience to his upbringing impressed God. He didn’t realize God loved him. And neither did Job’s friends realize the love of God for Job, and for themselves. So, they talked in code and when they became exasperated with each other, they retreated to schadenfreude: if you won’t admit I’m right, I’m going to smile wickedly, and watch as you burn.

Job is a book for the ages, but Christ is the Savior for eternity. Eternity, depending on how one views it, isn’t a concept for then, it’s a concept for now. When does eternity begin? It’s already begun; it’s already going. Jesus is the Savior of eternity – meaning, He is eternal. His life on earth was limited to a specific point in time, but He is eternal. And, so will you and I be, if He is our Savior for eternity.

Job is a book about stuff happening, and stuff happens. But stuff happening is apart from God’s eternal presence. And God’s love is above the wars of words and the ensuing schadenfreude. For the modern reader of Scripture, Job (the book) is a reminder that in the midst of stuff happening (for whatever reason it happens), God is present and loves us in the midst of it; His love sees us through it. We are called to believe that. We’re called to speak the truth (non-code) in love and as Job says above: my mouth would encourage you; comfort from my lips would bring you relief. O, that we could learn that.

Father in Heaven, You didn’t give us half the story; You gave us the whole thing (or at least as much as You deemed necessary for us to understand). Lord, we are to speak the truth in love and we are to comfort and encourage one another, not battle over words. Help me to be an encourager and to speak Your un-coded truth. May I be a blessing to others and a comfort to those in sorrow – Amen.

No comments: