Sunday, October 30, 2016

The Partnership

10/30/2016

Job 21.4 Is my complaint directed to a human being? Why should I not be impatient? – Job

Ah Job, what are we going to do with you? You do have quite a case, but we’re having trouble buying the whole: all of your troubles were brought on by the God; and somehow you deserve special restitutive treatment from Him… C’mon Job! Man up and admit you’re wrong!

If we read Job as if we’d never read it before, it might take on a different meaning. If we read Job exclusive from the rest of the Bible, it would take on hugely different meaning. Nothing like what happened to Job had ever happened before, and those who sought to arrest Job from his mentality were having difficulty believing him that God was somehow “at fault”.

I have thought about Job’s relationship with God and I think I have come to a new place in my thinking in that: I think Job (a non-Jew) viewed God much like Muslims view Allah. Job believed there was a God and that God was supreme. Job believed God was involved in his life, but I believe he saw God at a distance. Job knew he was an upright soul, but he only knew that because of how he lived his life: he lived to keep God happy. He had a very uncomfortable view of what happened when God wasn’t.

Yes, Job judged himself by his righteousness, but he was, in his own way, righteous. And when it all hit the fan Job had only God to blame; so, he asked God, “Why!?” Followed with: “What have I done!?” Job knew this: there was a God, and he wasn’t Him; and he was seeking God for answers to his plight.

Job’s friends perhaps knew of God but if Job’s view of God was stunted, his friend’s views were infantile. So, Job’s response is: “Is my complaint directed to a human being? Why should I not be impatient?” In other words, I am asking God for an answer and He isn’t cooperating! There it is, an uncooperative God.

Job knew of God, and respected Him. Job lived a decent life and treated people well. He was also well thought of – but his respect for God wasn’t necessarily translated into love for God. I think love for God was outside of Job’s wheelhouse. I think Job’s concept of a love for God might be like that of many moderns: silly, goofy, effeminate, and unmanly! Job needed a God to come to his rescue. Moderns think that way too. Job needed a God to keep the wheels of his life from falling off. We think that way too.

So, what is our response when the wheels do fall off? God, where the (bleep) are You!?

Since we do read Job in context with the rest of Scripture, God’s love is a concept that is presented in the rest of scripture. Our love for God is awakened in the Person of Jesus Christ. Jesus enables us to love God, and to love others. Job didn’t know of Jesus, but he did know of God. Job knew God. Lived for God. But Job didn’t know of God’s love and got frustrated when God didn’t come to his rescue as quickly as he thought He should. Sounds an awful lot like us. Impatient, impatient, impatient…

Father, may my life with You be reflected in my love for You and may my love for You be reflected in my cooperation with You. Help me to hear, and to see, and to do, because You command it, and expect it. Like Job, may I accept the good and the bad, but may I do so with a heart that understands Your love for me, and somehow may that be translated in my love for You. Our life together is a partnership. Long live the partnership! Amen

No comments: