Sunday, October 9, 2016

Granting Favor

10-09-16

Nehemiah 1.11b b Give your servant success today by granting him favor in the presence of this man. – Nehemiah

Sometimes there is a deep-seated passion, complaint, request, imploration of God to do something way beyond ourselves. Such is the little prayer above: [Lord], give Your servant success today by granting him favor in the presence of this man…” the man was none other than Artaxerxes, (are-tah-zerks-eez) the Persian emperor.

Perhaps the one in our life we’re seeking grace and favor with is an estranged loved one, an ex-spouse. Perhaps it is a co-worker with whom we have constant difficulty. Maybe it’s a reluctant client or prospect. Who knows. But our need is to gain access or approval, or even just an audience is big, and bigger than us, and we need God’s help.

Nehemiah knew God had called him (through his love for and passion for his country) to go back to Jerusalem and take action. The trouble was, he needed employer approval to do so and he held a position in the palace (the then equivalent of the White House) that not just anyone else could hold: it wasn’t like there was another cup-bearer-in-waiting ready to do the job on the day Nehemiah got sick or wanted to go on vacation.

So Nehemiah prayed. Do we pray? Do we seek God’s help with people? What lengths do we go to, to get God’s attention in order to get the attention of others?

Nehemiah prayed and, like Ezra before him, he confessed not only his own sins, but also the sins of the nation before him. The Israelites had a lousy relationship with God… that’s why Nehemiah was currently living in Persia, working in the court of a pagan king.

But he prayed and he sought success in what he sought, and he asked God to grant him favor in front of the emperor who may have been less than cooperative at the thought of having his cup-bearer gone for an extended period of time. Our request for favor with someone may also include some discomfort with the others we already have favor with. We need to factor that in. We may need to solicit their help in prayer and cooperation as well.

Nehemiah prayed. Nehemiah sought God’s help. Nehemiah took God to work with him every day.

Father in Heaven, as I deal with people here on earth, I pray for success, and for favor with them. I pray to You to grant me the things I cannot attain on my own – especially since I keep resorting to whining, complaining, and frustration. I know You know, and I know You care. Teach me to be first at Your throne before I venture off into my day. May I honor You in my vigilant prayer. Amen

No comments: