Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Their Worldview

10/11/2016

Luke 24.25 25 He said to them, “How foolish you are, and how slow to believe all that the prophets have spoken!” – Jesus

I get it: I too am foolish, and slow to believe what the Bible says about Jesus. I allow the arguments in my mind and in those of others to tell me what I want to hear. Yes, I am foolish and slow to believe.

At this point I could try to start blaming those others: well, they’re slow to believe as well! And yes, others are foolish, and slow to believe. But on that great day when I stand in His presence, not one of them will be with me – I will stand completely on my own. I will account for all I’ve done in life.

I don’t know about you, but my memory is getting worse these days, I can’t remember all of the crap I’ve done. It seems that every time I turn around, someone reminds me of more stuff that I’ve done that I can’t remember and I think: will this ever end!?

The issue is not what I’ve done, the issue is what I believe. The rebuke of Jesus to the unnamed two, was not their actions, but their belief: How foolish you are, and slow to believe all that the prophets have spoken [about Me]! What do I believe?

It’s really not hard to discover what I believe; all one need do is watch what I do. We usually do as we believe we can do. Our actions underscore where our heart really is. We do as we believe we may do. And so as we do, we set a pattern in our lives: sow a thought, reap and action. Sow an action, reap a habit. Sow a habit, reap a destiny. That’s how serious belief really is.

Jesus isn’t into minutiae, He’s into the heart. Jesus is more concerned with the inside than He is with the outside. When He told the two of Emmaus (aim-ah-oos) that they were foolish and slow to believe, He wasn’t looking at their sins, He was pointing out their worldview. Nowadays, with a presidential election looming, we can see where people’s hearts really are – what their worldview really is; Jesus would call us, foolish and slow to believe.

Today, knowing the heart is the issue, I’m taking inventory of mine: what is my worldview, what do I really believe, and do my actions reveal my true beliefs? I know I am foolish and slow to believe. I know my focus today is to endeavor to be wise and quick; and find myself at the throne of grace. I know there are deep things in my life that need dealt with which reveal warps in my worldview.

The outcome of all this is a changed life. The last two sentences of Luke 24 are simply: Then they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy. And they stayed continually at the temple, praising God. Their worldview changed. That didn’t mean there was no more messiness in the minutiae, but it did mean their focus and purpose in life changed: they became less foolish and quicker to believe.

Father, You know. You know I am foolish and slow to believe. Help me to be wiser and quicker today. It start right here, listening to the voice of Your word, and putting action to what I’ve learned. Help me to embrace a new worldview today where You are Lord, and I am an obedient child. May we start all over again this morning! Amen

No comments: