Sunday, October 16, 2016

The Price of Genuine

10/16/2016

Acts 5.1-2 1 Now a man named Ananias, together with his wife Sapphira, also sold a piece of property. 2 With his wife’s full knowledge he kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles’ feet. – St. Luke

I don’t think Ananias and Sapphira were evil; I think they just wanted some attention. I think they just wanted to be well thought of by the local church. I think what they did wrong, was to try to impress people and to be phony – why they died for that, I’m not sure. What happened as a result was the whole church realized how serious the belief and commitment were supposed to be.

Many today have strains of: look at how wonderful I am. It’s human nature. But if we took our place in the church seriously we would only ever say: we are unworthy servants. The hallmark of servanthood is this: it doesn’t seek attention for itself; it just does. Is that worth dying over? It depends on how you view it...

Yesterday I had a first: I performed a wedding on a dismal rainy day. Fortunately, we were in a tent out of the rain, but it rained hard throughout the day. The good news is not all weddings are rainy day affairs. (Some, post nuptials, may think they are, but not all are.) The Book of Acts is full of firsts: not everyone died for being phony.

But like the irreparable Day of Pentecost, Ananias and Sapphira were – to my understanding – an irreparable occurrence. A point was made, strongly, and that was enough. Everyone got the point. The Bible is full of accounts of phony people. Maybe this time there was more to the story than we’re allowed to know. (I’ll bet phoniness hit an all-time low after that…)

I think part of the point here is genuineness; as in: let’s do a better job in this part of our faith. The early church (as well as the Church today) was surrounded by phoniness.  The Apostles were accosted by phoniness from the religious leaders. There were people who wanted in on the action of the New Church whose motives were less than pure. We have to ask ourselves: where do we stand? And when is the last time someone in our church died for being phony? What effect would that have on the rest of us?

Was the phoniness of Ananias and Sapphira enough to keep them out of Heaven? Or were their deaths a sign to the early believers that God is intolerant of phoniness? I think there was more to the story. But I also think the point was made.

Father, I confess phoniness in my own life. I confess that I get lazy in my belief, and I know You know all this. I pray to be genuine. But I think when I do, You may reply: Paul, why do you ask Me for what you already have? Genuineness is the result of my relationship with You Lord, and my true view of Who I think You are, and what I think You do. When I think of all the shenanigans that happen in modern church, I am surprised that not more of us die for our misuse of faith and abuse of Your grace. But You are gracious and good and there is a reason those two died for being stupid. Help me at least to avoid that. Amen

No comments: