Tuesday, October 18, 2016

But Barnabas

10/18/2016

Acts 9.27 But Barnabas took him and brought him to the apostles. He told them how Saul on his journey had seen the Lord and that the Lord had spoken to him, and how in Damascus he had preached fearlessly in the name of Jesus. – St. Luke

It was an uneasy time for the new Church – the pushback from the Jews was reaching new highs (or lows), and now Saul of Tarsus, the tyrant of the Temple, was roaming freely, claiming to be a disciple of Jesus. “Not so fast my friend, prove to me you’re who you say you are!” Saul was viewed with huge suspicion.

But Barnabas… (V. 12, I kinda quit reading right here…) Barnabas wasn’t your run-of-the-mill guy; Barnabas was a risk-taker, and took his faith seriously. Barnabas was an encourager and seemed to be able to take people at face value much like an artist looks at a blank canvas: he saw potential.

Now Barnabas was probably well aware of Saul’s antics but when he heard of Saul’s conversion he said to himself: Thank You God for answering our prayers! I’m going to be the first one to invite Saul in… That took a risk; Saul hadn’t yet proven himself. But Saul convinced Barnabas, and God showed Barnabas the truth: Saul is My guy.

Have you ever met someone new at church? Have you developed a relationship with them and become friends? Jesus said in Matthew 25: For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in… (V. 35) There is something about taking people at face value and inviting them into your life – that’s what I think it means to invite them in. It gives them a starting point. It gives them a safety net. It gives them an ‘in’.

It doesn’t surprise me that the Scripture says, “But Barnabas…” From what we know of him, we probably shouldn’t expect anything less. It also solves the riddle of John Mark in Acts 15: Barnabas wanted to give John Mark (the offender) a second chance but Paul (the accepted) refused to give ground.

The account goes: “…but Paul did not think it wise to take him, because he had deserted them in Pamphylia and had not continued with them in the work.”  Valid reason. But Barnabas, the encourager, was like: “Oh, c’mon Paul! Give the guy another chance. After all, I gave you one!” It says their disagreement was so sharp that they parted company. Hmmm, conflict in the church… Paul went off with Silas, and Barnabas took John Mark with him. Paul apparently had forgotten, but Barnabas…

Paul eventually remembered Mark: “Get Mark and bring him with you, because he is helpful to me in my ministry…” Same Mark, years later.

Encouragement is a much needed virtue in the church and in the relationships we have with people around us. We need both, to learn how to encourage, and how to be encouraged. If anyone in Scripture knew about encouragement – it was the guy whose nickname was, “Son of Encouragement.”

Father, use me to encourage others and to give people the benefit of the doubt. We all need You and we all need each other. May we all be better at both! Amen

No comments: