Sunday, October 23, 2016

One-of-a-Kind

10/23/2016

Acts 17.32 When they heard about the resurrection of the dead, some of them sneered, but others said, “We want to hear you again on this subject.” – St. Luke

Drive past any cemetery today and look to see which graves are empty; how many of them have been abandoned by their inhabitants. You won’t find many. I’m betting you won’t find any. Resurrection is a very odd occurrence.  What makes it more odd is someone who would die the death deserved for you and then rise from the dead to make a way so you could become God’s child.

No wonder the Athenians sneered – how could such a thing happen?

I know throughout Christendom and throughout the ages, ones have been raised from the dead. My own dad fell, dead, from a heart-attack, and was ‘revived’ medically that day; he succumbed to final death a few days later. There is, at least, one account of coming back from death…

The difference is, my dad didn’t give his life for anyone. (Now, I need to be careful lest I dishonor the fact that my dad gave his life in other ways for his family and for us as a nation.) But my dad didn’t die for my sins. He lived to help me live a good life, but he didn’t die for my sins. And though he was brought back from the dead for 6 days, he remained in a coma and ultimately passed away.

There are many accounts in Scripture of resurrections, but none, other than the Lord, died for the sins of others and came back from the dead to make a way for them to come to God. I think that is why the sneers – who could/would do a thing like that!? (Short answer: only God). Resurrection is not uncommon, but atonement is; there is only one Atonement fit for all mankind ever; and only God did it.

Here is where the rub comes: mankind is so arrogant in his sin that he cannot accept God’s One-of-a-kind atonement. Mankind wants to deal with his own sins in his own way and leave God out of the process. That, my friends is why people really sneer: they can’t accept what only God can do for them; they insist they can make themselves good enough and bypass what only God can do. Such is the magnitude of human sin and pride. And sneers.

Not everybody sneers though; some actually accept the truth. What is more marvelous is some actually accept the truth in these enlightened days in which we live. Go figure. The truth is often a hard pill to swallow, but that just means, the bigger the pill, the harder we work to swallow it. Life is like that too, the tougher the days, the harder we work to overcome them.

One thing we cannot do is atone for ourselves; that is limited exclusively for God’s wheelhouse. Can we, will we accept that?

Lord, help me to remember who the sinner is, and Who the Atoner is. Your life, death, and resurrection, were all part of the process for me to come to know You in spirit and truth (forever) and may I live, like Paul of old, to help others see that atonement is what we need, and a risen Savior guarantees that. Jesus, You are infinitely more than a good man, or a great teacher, You are the One who died for us all that we might come to God as a result. And find life more abundant than all of this earth has to offer. Use me to share that truth – amen.

No comments: