Monday, October 3, 2016

True Riches

10/3/2016

Luke 16.11 11 “So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches?” - Jesus

Yesterday, I was having a conversation with a friend and I mentioned the word dogma. While dogma tends to lean toward creed, doctrine, or canon, it also leans toward belief. What one believes is not necessarily the truth; but it is what one believes. The stronger the belief, the more dogmatic the belief. In Jesus’ day, like ours, there were those with strong (dogmatic) beliefs.

Jesus said things we take as canonical or dogmatic. For instance, Jesus said (speaking to the Jews of His day): “It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.’ But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery. (Matthew 5.31-32) Yet in our day, divorce and remarriage is quite common.

Does that mean that those who’ve divorced and remarried for reasons other than sexual immorality are forever adulterers and there is no remedy for their sin? That sounds like the only other sin Jesus didn’t die for is divorce. (The other, other sin Jesus didn’t die for is unbelief.) Nonsense. Truly, divorce is a serious thing, but it isn’t unforgivable. Many remarriages beyond divorce are happy and lasting.

In the context of the above, Jesus is addressing money and the proper use of money. He said: “So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches?” To my knowledge, a lot of people (especially in the west) have issues with money handling. It is said: either you have money, or it has you. Many are in the, it-has-you group. The question is, in the areas of money and marriage, what do we do?

What we do is allow the Lord to lead us in money and marriage. Both are serious issues. Both are issues of the heart. And both (if not handled properly) have major consequences. Jesus I think was making a fairly obvious statement: if you’re not good with money or marriage, who will seek you out for guidance and counsel? No dogma – just fairly obvious observation.

To my knowledge, everything can be forgiven – except unbelief. Marriage matters, money matters – all can be forgiven. What cannot be forgiven is the heart that persists in unbelief. Many have unbelief. At some point – I contend – unbelief has them. When unbelief reaches stage two, in my mind, then there is no turning back.

The dogma is this: Let Jesus have our money and our marriages (and everything else) and He will help us do what is right. We may not end up being money managers or marriage counselors, but we will be taught by the Lord to do what is right, and honorable. True riches, I’d say…

Father, help me to learn, repent, and to learn. Teach me Your ways, and may I walk in them. Use me to help others and encourage them along life’s path. Give me serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the grace to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference and walk therein. Amen.

No comments: