Wednesday, April 27, 2011

All Ears

4.27.2011

Psalm 142:2 2 I pour out my complaint before him; before him I tell my trouble. NIV

Maybe it’s because I’ve done this now for nine years – reading through the Bible every year; maybe my mind is beginning to get seasoned to what’s coming next as I read the various accounts, psalms, gospels and epistles. I say this because I woke up this morning a bit out of sorts and this thought came to my mind:

To You, O God, I pour out my complaint,
For when I get tired and frazzled I tend to throw off restraint. 
I tend to get whiny and get off my game
Forgetting my only rescue is the power of Your Name.

Nobody cares about our issues – nobody that is, except God. So if that’s the truth then why do I look for answers and sympathy anywhere, or from anyone, else? Why would I?

I think I’m like most people; I tend to look for a sympathetic ear to invite to my pity-party. But I am reminded today that there really isn’t anyone who truly cares about me except God, and He’s all ears – I pour out my complaint before Him. And pouring out my complaints before Him resets my emotional defaults which get all out of whack when I don’t pour out my complaints before Him.

The beauty of complaining to God is being able to honestly tell Him how I feel and to allow Him to get me going in the right direction again. I cannot – I must not forget Who genuinely and truly loves me! It’s only Him.

David, with all of his issues and faults, was a mighty saint in the army of God and if David poured out his complaints to God about the people who bugged him (he seemed to do this often), about circumstances, about his problems, who am I to not follow his example?

To You, O God, I pour out my complaint
For You have changed me from sinner into saint.
And if saints of old were called to pray
What makes me think I can live any other way?


I pray today proclaiming Your victory Lord
And back into the battle I go with Your Truth, my only sword;
To keep my mind stayed on what is good and right
Knowing You’ll do whatever according to Your might. 


I pray for me, but I pray for others too
To get into the habit of pouring out our complaints only to You
Because in the end it will be when every battle’s won
It was throughYou and You only, that anything ever got done. Amen

No comments: