Friday, April 15, 2011

The Best Thing to Know

4.15.2011

Psalm 9:10 10 Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you. NIV

Think of the best person you know outside of the sphere of your family, or spouse. What kind of person is this; and what privilege is it for you to know their name? This is probably a person to whom you could turn in crisis and find wisdom, comfort and maybe even godly rebuke (So, how’s your devotional life; are you spending time in God’s word?)

David says in Psalm 9, “Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.” Knowing God’s name means knowing where to turn in times of trouble; trouble of any kind, at any time. To know God’s Name is to know power, provision, protection and presence. David told Goliath, “You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied…” (1 Samuel 17:45 NIV) All David had was a Name; but what a Name!

For You, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek You – who know Your Name. There are lots of things to know in this world. There are lots of things to get worried or frightened over but the Lord has never forsaken those who know His Name. So, not only do I know God’s Name but I know whose behind God’s Name; Someone who never forsakes me – ever! That’s the best thing to know in this world. If I don’t ever know much else, I must know this: God’s Name and that He never forsakes His people.

I am glad to know that God never forsakes His people. We may find ourselves in an impossible jam once in a while, but we can lay our heads on the pillow tonight knowing that God never forsakes and never forgets. He never gets upset when we forsake Him or forget Him. He always leads us gently back to Himself.

Father in Heaven,
Like a cool breeze on a really hot day, Your word is refreshment to me tonight. I rejoice that I am never forgotten or forsaken and that I am blessed eternally and infinitely because I simply know Your Name – my God, my Father, my Lord, and my King – in Your Name, amen.

No comments: