Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Perfect Marriage of Pain and Grace

4.20.2011

1 Samuel 23:16 16 And Saul’s son Jonathan went to David at Horesh and helped him find strength in God. NIV

As I read the history of David I see the perfect marriage of pain and grace. And when pain and grace have a child, its name is Maturity. David’s circumstances drove him closer to God. Saul’s circumstances drove him further away from God every time.

Jonathan went to Horesh to help his friend get a better perspective of what was happening. Jonathan was a good guy. Jonathan encouraged David and David knew to seek out the Lord. Ah, but the messes around David and the king seeking his life were creating a maturity in David that he would get no other way. And God’s hand was right in the middle of it all. Pain without grace is just pain. Grace without pain is neglect.

I use to think that time was the great equalizer – that we all seem to mellow and get better with age. How foolish! If that’s my thinking, then who needs God? If it’s just time that helps me get better then I am no different than the surliest curmudgeon out there. But time is not the great equalizer; relationship with God and time work together to make me better. It’s not just circumstances that change me, it’s God who changes me. David learned these lessons firsthand.

I must never make the mistake of leaving God out of the picture – He is the sole reason that whatever happens in my life is happening for my good (Romans 8.28). And I must never neglect to remind my fellow saints of the same thing.

The heart-cry of the maturing soul is, God is in control!

Father in Heaven,
Find in me Lord a cooperative spirit, a teachable spirit, and a grateful spirit as You work out Your plans in and through me – may pain and grace find a happy home in me – I pray in Christ; amen.

No comments: