Monday, April 18, 2011

Short Accounts

4.18.2011

Matthew 5:25 25 “Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still with him on the way, or he may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. NIV

Recently, my wife and I had a difference of opinion which led to a bit of quietness, terseness, and maybe some distance. I may have been wrong in how I said what I said, but my opinion remains the same. Perhaps I touched a nerve. Flare ups happen. So, I spent the night, and part of the next day planning how to maintain my opinion and how to repair the breach. I did and I did.

Jesus said, “Settle matters quickly…” He was talking specifically about adversarial situations but I think we can include marital difficulties, misunderstandings, and especially sin; I think He’s okay with that. We’re to right the ship as soon as possible. We’re to keep short accounts with others and we’re to admit to God as quickly as we can when become aware of transgression in our lives, minds and hearts toward Him.

What motivated me with my wife was: I like it when we are comfortable with one another and very uncomfortable when we aren’t. So, I try to make amends quickly, because I can’t stand unrest. With God, when I am aware of something I’ve done that I know is wrong, I can’t stand looking into the Word until I come to Him and make it right. The guilt and uneasiness I feel is almost overwhelming. And God isn’t my Adversary. But He is my God, and when I know He knows then I know it is time to come clean and do it right now.

Today, I am reminded to settle matters quickly. Life is very short and I can’t afford to waste time harboring ill-will toward anyone and I can’t afford to let my behavior become a burr in someone’s saddle – if you know what I mean…

Father in Heaven,
There is glory in keeping short accounts and there is much to be said for coming to You at lightning speed, admitting my wrong, and settling my issues with You. My issues are my sin and God may I learn two things: Not to do it in the first place and to quickly settle it with You when I do – amen.

No comments: