Monday, April 25, 2011

Then Write the Obituary

4.25.2011

1 Chronicles 10:13-14 13 Saul died because he was unfaithful to the Lord; he did not keep the word of the Lord and even consulted a medium for guidance, 14 and did not inquire of the Lord. So the Lord put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David son of Jesse. NIV

It sounds kind of harsh doesn’t it; that the Lord put [Saul] to death…? And this is what is recorded in God’s word for all eternity – heaven and earth may pass away but the word of the Lord lasts forever… So, what will they say about us when we die? What will we be remembered for? Will we be known for being unfaithful or will those who know us say that we were devoted to God? It’s kind of up to us.

What an obituary: Saul died because he was unfaithful to the Lord. Faithfulness is a virtue and Saul didn’t have it; and Saul was God’s choice. So before we go blaming God for a bad choice we have to look at ourselves in the mirror of God’s word and question His choice of us – did God make a mistake there too? God chooses and offers Himself to those He will, and it’s up to them to cooperate. Salvation is a gift – what we do with it is how we receive it. Two people may make the choice to get married but it’s up to them to make the relationship work. Saul could’ve availed himself to God, but he didn’t. I used to think, why Saul? Now I think, why anybody!? God’s choice is God’s choice; and if that’s the case, then I must avail myself to Him that I may learn His ways and walk in His will. Then write the obituary.

The older I get and the longer I walk with the Lord, the more I find His gift to me to be so precious I can’t describe it. And then when I compare His gift with what the world offers – well, there is no comparison; I’d be the biggest fool in the whole universe to trade a heavenly blessing for an earthly curse… faithfulness is my choice, and contemplative, prayerful, meditative living keeps me pointed in the right direction…all based on God’s word. Amen!?

Father in Heaven,
Thank You for Your choice, Your gift, and Your word. The content of my obituary is largely how I handle, respond to, and relate to what You’ve given to me. Amen.

No comments: