Thursday, April 14, 2011

Have Faith in God

4.14.2011

1 Chronicles 5:20 20 They were helped in fighting them, and God handed the Hagrites and all their allies over to them, because they cried out to him during the battle. He answered their prayers, because they trusted in him. NIV

The brief account of Jabez is found in 1 Chronicles 4.9; where Jabez prayed and God granted his request. Jabez, it appears, trusted God in his circumstances and God responded. As we read along in 1 Chronicles we find again in chapter 5 that because the peoples of Rueben, Gad, and the half tribe of Manasseh trusted God, He answered their prayers (specifically in delivering the Hagrites over to them in battle).

Jesus said in Mark 10, “Have faith in God,”… “I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.” (Mark 11:22-25) Have faith in God. Jabez, the trans-Jordanites, and God’s people are to trust Him and pray to Him in faith.

Sometimes I think my prayers don’t get answered – at least the way I want them to be answered; but that is no excuse not to pray. Twice recently my wife and I have prayed for God’s intervention in specific issues and He granted our request. But request granting isn’t the focus here, it’s trust; the frosting on the cake then is what God does for people who trust Him. God takes care of His faithful ones...

Father in Heaven,
I trust You, and have seen and felt the futility of trying to manipulate my circumstances in my own power. I trust You with the outcome of the things that are beyond me over which I have no control, but am asking for Your help. I ask for faith to increase and my whining to cease as I give over control to You; and will celebrate Your deliverance in whatever means You’ve chosen to make it happen. Amen.

No comments: