Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Learning to do the Same

4.12.2011

2 Corinthians 12:9 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. NIV

In his defense of his ministry, Paul gladly owned up to the things he had difficulties with. Now, though he wasn’t specific, he did admit that he had issues. The difference however between Paul and most of the rest of us is that Paul knew where the victory was and dealt with his weaknesses in the power and presence of Christ. And what Paul made up for in Jesus way overshadowed what weaknesses he had in himself.

Many Christians I know want to hear the Lord say to them on that day when they meet Him face to face, “Well done good and faithful servant!” That’s a noble goal. But what we have to attune our ears to now before that day occurs is this, “My grace is sufficient for you, My power is made perfect in weakness.” And we need to hear this routinely and regularly in order to conquer the weaknesses we have by giving them to Jesus and allowing Him to deal with them by His grace.

Last night before I went to sleep I took the opportunity to pray for two relatives of mine who are going through hard times. What’s ironic is I criticized them earlier in the evening for what I think is their fault – the circumstances and their actions. But this thought occurred to me: Where Jesus is there is true compassion for those who don’t seem to get it. And so with that thought I prayed, Jesus You are the Compassionate One and I pray in Your compassion for these two because where You are is compassion, care, and concern; not cruel criticism or judgment.

I must learn that Jesus has chosen to dwell in the hearts of His people – and as such, He brings everything we need for life and godliness (2 Peter 1). I must admit my weakness before Him and allow Him in His strength to overcome my weaknesses so that I may pray  and share the gospel effectively. Paul knew how to deal with his weaknesses in Christ by His grace – I must learn to do the same…

No comments: