Monday, June 28, 2010

Have Loved


6.28.2010

2 Timothy 4.8b “...who have loved his appearing.” ESV

Maybe it’s because I watched The Book of Eli the other night that the books of the Bible seem to have a different tone these last few days. I realize that movies are movies and Hollywood’s best attempts at expressing something of spiritual value fall woefully short of reality. But I see a sense of urgency in Paul’s words to Timothy and there is something in his language in 2 Timothy that makes me stop and think. Note Paul’s words in 2 Timothy 4.8: “...who have loved his appearing.”

“Have loved” means already done or already past or already established. The NIV says, “Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.”

You don’t get the longing without the loving. And those who have loved His appearing are used to His presence by faith today, so that tomorrow when faith is replaced with actuality, the reunion between the Lord and those who have loved Him is glorious and the tears of joy flow like a massive flood of thankfulness and release.

I have loved His appearing in these days and I long for His appearing in the days to come that when that Day arrives I will rejoice at His presence face to face. It’s not hard to talk oneself out of faith when one looks at the monstrous madness of men marching under the monument of mankind and all his machinations, but the reality is that all that stuff will be blown away like fine powder by the appearing of Jesus Christ – that is worth loving, longing, and living for.

Lord Jesus,
You are God and You are coming back. But for now I love Your appearing to me in these days by faith so that on that Day tomorrow I will see You and enjoy You face to face. May I like Paul keep the faith by maintaining my relationship with You by faith; always, always, always, looking, longing, and loving Your appearing to set things back to the way You originally intended. Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done! Amen.

No comments: