Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Fight


6.24.2010

1 Timothy 6:12 12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. ESV

The fight is a defensive fight protecting the integrity of the truth which man is ever trying to distort and pervert to his own use, to justify his own behavior at the urging of satan, and in rebellion to God. The good confession is that the truth is the truth.

The fight is relentlessly and tirelessly doing whatever is necessary to line one’s life up with the truth so that the glory of God shines forth in life in the presence of others. And to fight is to remain true to the truth. As I said, it’s a defensive battle. The only time we’re to go on the offensive is when presenting the truth in the face of error, and only so that others may hear the truth and make the good confession. The fight is only won in defending what will set others free.

So I must have God – and I must have His word; and I must live life in the light of the good confession – that I believe His word is true, and His word has set me free.

Father in Heaven,
You have given me Your word that I may life offensively on the battlefield of defending the truth. Equip me and help me to fight the good fight today and to crucify the flesh in me that would give way to error and somehow tarnish what I have been shown by You to be true.
The Holy Bible : English standard version. 2001 (). Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.

No comments: