Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Everyday Me


6.8.2010

Ephesians 4:15 15 Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ... ESV

How do I grow up? For sure I age and grow up physically. For sure I learn (some) and grow up intellectually. But to grow up and be of value to others, how do I do that? By submitting to Christ, is how I grow up to be something and someone of worth to others. By taking His word seriously, applying it to my life, and obedience, I grow up to be of true value to others.

For years I thought I was making progress only to find in me rage, bitterness, jealousy, wrath and the like. I read verses like “Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” It sounded so good but my behavior was everything but. Only by getting to that place where I realized Jesus really meant business with the everyday me did I realize how hypocritical, pathetic and stunted I really was. I was of little use to others.

When I recognize my bad behavior these days, I ask myself, “What’s not working here, the Spirit of God or me?” It has to be one or the other and He’s not broken. It is way good for me to exam my heart and my motives and allow the Spirit of God to help me so that I truly can speak the truth in love and say and do things that build others up – not tear them down; and by doing so reflect the honor and glory due the Lord, Jesus Christ.

Father in Heaven,
You know that I am still a long way off and that my successes are way smaller than my failures. But Lord You don’t look at my failures and You are leading me to realize that You mean business in all aspects of my life that in every way I may grow up into Him who is the Head, the Lord, the Savior – Lord, please help the everyday me - I pray in His Name, amen.

No comments: