Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Who He Came To Call


10.28.2009

Mark 2:17 17 And hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick; I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” New American Standard Bible

There are four kinds of people in the world:
1. Those who are and know it
2. Those who aren’t and know it
3. Those who are and don’t know it
4. Those who aren’t and don’t know it.

Jesus came to deal with those who aren’t and they know it; He was always and only opposed by those who aren't and don’t know it; Jesus came to save sinners who know they are sinners and know that only Someone bigger than themselves can do anything about it.

The Pharisees didn’t know they were sinners – they thought they were righteous; their righteousness was based on their performance, not on what God said or did.

The older I get the more I know I don’t know, but the more I turn to the One who does know. I was raised to believe in performance and I found out that doesn't always work; I’m not that smart, creative, good looking, or driven. What I do know these days is that if anyone is going to save me, it's God – no one else. Jesus came to call sinners to Himself and in order to go to Jesus, that means I have to be knowledgeable of and willing to deal with my sin. Before Christ, and in Christ I do so – not with anyone else.

Father in Heaven,
Today is a day to admit You are right and I am not. Today is a day to rejoice in my salvation and to stay in the glow of Your forgiveness and love. I realize just how broken and flawed I am and I am glad even in the midst of that You love me, forgive me, and continue to work in my life to help me grow in Your grace and knowledge. I am and I know it, only because You opened my eyes and let me see Your glory. Help me this day to walk only in Your grace and to live with my eyes focused only on Your face – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: