Saturday, October 24, 2009

Our Mindsets


10.24.2009

Acts 20:24 24 “But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, so that I may finish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God. New American Standard Bible

This is another one of Paul’s tremendous statements. He draws a line in the sand at the biggest hindrance to the gospel: what he holds (or considers to be) dear to himself. Why? Well, whatever we hold dear to ourselves we'll protect. That raises the question, what is dear to me, Paul Turk? The Apostle Paul jettisoned all of what was dear to him so that he could focus solely on what Jesus Christ gave him to do (i.e. ‘finish his course’ and the ministry which he received from the Lord Jesus). Paul adopted a mindset that he was going to do what Jesus told him to do no matter what.

What is the difference between me and the Apostle Paul? We’re both believers. We’re both called. We’re both gifted and sent. I think the biggest difference is our mindsets. Paul was immovable from what he had determined to do; unfortunately, I’m a little looser around the edges…

So, what are my priorities and what do I hold dear? That’s a question to consider. Now is the time for war, not peace. Now is the time for action, not retirement. Now is the time for pain to gain. I must, I will, follow Jesus and I will give all of what I hold dear to Him that I may somehow, some way, accomplish all that He has given me to testify solemnly of the good news of the grace of God.

Father in Heaven,
You have called men and women from every nation tongue and tribe to be a part of Your team and have given and gifted all of us to do what You’ve intended to do since before the world was made. Father, today I recommit to You to not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, so that I may finish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, and to testify solemnly of the gospel of Your grace; I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: