Thursday, October 8, 2009

Strength to Stand


10.8.2009

Luke 21:36 36 “But keep on the alert at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that are about to take place, and to stand before the Son of Man.” New American Standard Bible

Again, quoting my Puritan friend from the 17th century: “Think of how many souls were that night called from their bodies terrifyingly to appear before God and think how quickly days and nights are rolling on! How speedily your last night and day will come! Observe that which is lacking in the preparedness of your soul for such a time and seek it without delay.” He was just quoting Jesus…

We can’t say we weren’t warned; Jerusalem was indeed overrun in 70A.D. and all Jesus referred to in Luke 21 came true. So what about us two thousand years later? Well, as I read Jesus’ words I think about personally doing the following in order to be on the alert and having strength to stand before Him on that inevitable day:

1. Worship Him only, all day, every day, without fail
2. Read His word daily: diligently, faithfully, teach-ably, and obediently
3. Apply His word at whatever personal cost to me
4. Pray, pray, pray and then pray some more
5. Fellowship regularly with those who are like-minded and with whom I can hear and be heard
6. Carefully examine myself and rigorously and vigorously deal with my moods and ‘tudes
7. Attack my weaknesses ruthlessly before the Lord and seek to improve in my faith, my obedience; and in my awareness of the evil of the day
8. Understand and accept that without Jesus none of the above is possible

Father in Heaven,
You have blessed many of us with the privilege of living in one of the free-est and greatest countries in the history of the world. I pray that my lifestyle would not be a shackle to me. I pray for strength to stand because the days are indeed evil and getting only ever evil-er. Help me God, help me to stand and turn my back on what society and man calls important, and to have the strength to stand before my Savior, acquitted. In His Name I pray, amen.

No comments: