Sunday, October 25, 2009

God’s Purpose


10.25.2009

Acts 21:13 13 Then Paul answered, “What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be bound, but even to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.” New American Standard Bible


Paul was set in his way; his mind was made up; he was going to Jerusalem – no matter what anyone told him and regardless of what was going to happen. Looking at the picture up close, it was a foolhardy decision, or at least it appeared to be. Looking at the bigger picture, God used Paul’s visit to Jerusalem to get him to Rome to share the gospel there. The evidence of that can be found in his letter to the Philippians where Paul writes, “All the saints greet you, especially those of Caesar’s household.” (Phi. 4.22) Because of Paul’s journey and persecution by the Jews in Jerusalem, we read later in Philippians that there were believers in Caesar’s household. Wow!

It was all because of his mindset. Paul was convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was to do what God told him to do regardless of the consequence. I want to live a life like that because to forsake God in order to save my own skin is foolhardy; this world offers nothing of lasting value in return for such a transaction.

So I’m working at making up my mind and learning to submit to the One who truthfully said, ‘In this way the Jews at Jerusalem will bind the man who owns this belt and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.’ (Acts 21.11) Paul was supposed to be delivered over to the Gentiles to accomplish God’s purpose in Rome! Is it too much to ask that I do the same in Baker City, Oregon? I think not…

Father in Heaven,
You have saved me and called me and my life is not my own. I pray that Your purposes be accomplished in my life and that I bring glory to Your Name in all I do – in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: