Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Herod Approach


10.10.2009

Luke 23:8 8 Now Herod was very glad when he saw Jesus; for he had wanted to see Him for a long time, because he had been hearing about Him and was hoping to see some sign performed by Him. New American Standard Bible

On one occasion Jesus asked His disciples, “But who do you say that I am?” Peter said, “The Christ of God.” (Luke 9) In Matthew Jesus asked a similar question, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” They answered, most people had opinions. Herod had an opinion. Herod could’ve seen Jesus at any time but he expected Jesus to come to him. Herod wasn’t on the appointment list for he wasn’t blind or deaf, lame or poor, captive or oppressed; Herod was one of the demanding, proud, and arrogant. And now Herod was very glad because he finally got his chance to have a private audience with Jesus and all he hoped for was for some circus act that Jesus was so famous for.

God doesn’t do circus acts.

In my private audiences with the Lord, I must be careful that I too don’t relegate Him to some side-show freak Who’ll do some miracle for me and get me out of the messes I’ve created so that I may again go and create more messes. I will walk in faith in what Jesus has said to me and about me (in His Word) and avoid the Herod Approach of looking to God for entertainment, safety, and the freedom to do as I please…

Father in Heaven,
You know every need I have and the ones I don’t know I have. Today, again, I pray that Your will be accomplished in my life regardless of what it looks like and how it feels to me. I pray that You transform me into the man You created me to be at whatever cost it takes. I surrender all to Your grace and Your will, and trust You – something Herod would never do – for whatever the outcome that Your Name may be glorified and my life be pleasing to You – in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: