Monday, April 3, 2017

Contemplate

4/3/2017**

2 Corinthians 3.18 And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. – St. Paul

Paul speaks, in 2 Corinthians 3, of the Spirit, saying: He [God] has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter [Law] but of the Spirit; for the letter [law] kills, but the Spirit gives life. And I say, the way of the Spirit is hard, but sets us free.

We have a house guest this week, and this morning we were talking about what it takes in our lives to follow Jesus. We discussed our personal paths to this point in our lives (in our 60s), and the success we’ve had (little to none) in living according to our own rule – the letter or law of our own existence. The general consensus being: how’s that working for ya?

Life with God may not be perfect as it strives for perfection, but it is a life of ever increasing progress. I know many whom I would say: they’re making better progress in their young lives than I have, to this point, in my 60s. I’m not to compare myself to them and their accomplishments – whatever they may be – but I am to keep my slow-learning eyes focused on God, and what He is doing in me to get it. God is the Spirit. And I am well-served to contemplate that truth.

Life ought to be filled with contemplation of God and what He is doing. Life ought to be a process of thinking about the Lord – Jesus – who is working in us to live the life orchestrated by His Spirit; and when we do we ought to arrive at the conclusion that the Spirit is Him, He is the Spirit. (No kidding Captain Obvious!) I told you I was remedial…

I for one, wish I’ve made more progress at this point. I, for one, realize just how ineffective I’ve been to this point, but am getting it, that I, for one, have been my biggest source of retardation. However, I believe today that the retardation is diminished more today than it was yesterday; and I for one, [with] all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, am being transformed into His image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from [Him] the Lord [Jesus], who is the Spirit.

And I for one, realize that I need Him more today than yesterday, and with my face unveiled to see it, am happy.

Thank God that though He’s removed the veil of the Law, He’s replaced it with His Spirit. Thanks be to God, for His indescribable Gift!

Lord, I admit I am slow of heart to believe, but Lord, I believe. And Lord, I believe because of Your Holy Spirit, I believe more today than yesterday. Help me not to glory in myself, but to contemplate on what You are doing with ever-increasing glory, and give You praise – Amen.

**Apologies in advance for the grammatical errors - just read it as if we were speaking face-to-face...

No comments: