Saturday, April 15, 2017

In the Name

4/15/2017

1 Samuel 17.45 David said to the Philistine, "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied."

It’s not about me. It’s not about you. It’s not about Goliath or any other foe or problem. It’s about God.

For sure, David went into ‘battle’ physically outmanned. For sure, the enemy was skilled and successful at what he did – he was, a champion, and still alive after many conflicts. He had an armor bearer, someone to assist him. But David only had faith.

The world cannot buy into the whole faith-thing. It wants the powerful, and proven so. It wants champions and heroes who can kick butt and get the job done… don’t just get your taxes done; get your taxes won! The world wants militaries and powers and advantages. The world knows their track-record points in the direction of: the fittest survive. The world does not know the one who proclaims: I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty!

Faith on earth is viewed mostly as fantasy; maybe if there are gods, maybe they’ll do something. The faithful one, however, moves because God moves and has no faith in himself, but only in God. One thing is for sure, the nay-sayers will have to give an account one day.

I am facing what appears to be, in my mind, a giant. A friend of mine happened to call last evening and we discussed my giant. He encouraged me to have greater expectation in God as I approach my giant. Is the battle about me, or is it about God? Are my chances in me, or are they in God?

I had to stop and think that one over.

The battle is the Lord’s. (1 Samuel 17:47) My pastor told me: Paul, you can work and let God rest; or you can rest and let God work. I smiled, he’s good for ‘pastorly’ quips like that. But he’s right. And I know it.

The battle is the Lord’s. Goliath comes with his skill and victories – and his title: champion/hero. Titles are overrated. The saint is called to battle, but only when the Lord says to go, and only in the knowledge that his participation in the battle is to see the Lord’s glory in victory. David had only his faith and his indignation. Naïve? Well, maybe. But guess who died…

Father in Heaven, the battle is not for the fittest, but for the faithful. You don’t stop the battles, but You promise to see us through them. It’s not about me, Lord; it’s about You. May I walk in the light of Who You are today and remember the faith that You’ve called me to. The battle is Yours. Amen

No comments: