Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Gideon and Me

3/29/2017

Judges 6. 13 “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but if the Lord is with us, why has all this happened to us? Where are all his wonders that our ancestors told us about when they said, ‘Did not the Lord bring us up out of Egypt?’ But now the Lord has abandoned us and given us into the hand of Midian.”

A bigger question may have been asked, but this one from Gideon ranks right up there: if the Lord is with us, why has all this happened to us? Wow! How many people use that one!?

We humans fancy that we have it all figured out – that time is on our side; and that God will give us peace, security, health, wealth, and whatever else we need. And the promises of God do tend to lean in that direction. But the condition is that God be our God, and all His blessings, in whatever form they appear, satisfy us. Job said, Shall I accept [only] good from the Lord and not trouble? (Job 2.13) Good question Job!

I think we tend to live any old way we please, and expect God to pick up all our broken pieces. And we are happy when it’s good, but question God when it isn’t. Why is it we think we can call God into question as Gideon did: if You’re so good, God, why has all this happened to us? What’s up!?

Gideon went on to ask, “Where are all his wonders that our ancestors told us about when they said, ‘Did not the Lord bring us up out of Egypt?’” (…and, how come He isn’t doing it now!?) And then Gideon gets down to what everybody does in turmoil, he states: “But now the Lord has abandoned us and given us into the hand of Midian.” Ah, the real conclusion: mighty God has let us down again.

A friend of mine said, if it’s always just you against the world, then it might be you that needs to change. Gideon, Israel, Christian, it just might be you that needs to change.

Gideon needed to change. He was in deep weeds and he knew it, but rather than repent and ask God for help, he insisted in blaming God for his troubles. Don’t we do that? Some of us? In between infrequently and frequently – depending on the severity of the need? Gideon needed to find a humble heart. Gideon needed to quit looking at God as his servant and ask: God, what can I do and how will You help?

God was patient with the whining Gideon, and He is marvelously patient with me when I do the same thing. It’s not what I am going through; it’s what I learn as I go through what I’m going through. Trusting God in the proving grounds is the means, not the end. The end is falling on my face in worship proclaiming God’s adoption of me as His son, and His tender care over me in the troubles and trials He promises to go with me through. God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble.

In trials, trouble, tests, and tribulation (in this world, you will have them all! But take heart, child, I have overcome the world…on your behalf – Jesus, John 16.33) our best defense is trusting the Lord for who He is and whose I am. When things get ugly or difficult or wearisome, that’s when I ought to be praising God for His presence, His plan, and His participation in my life – I never go through difficulty alone as long as God is on the Throne.

Lord, You use broken, accusing people such as Gideon, and me, to accomplish Your will. Lord, help me to cooperate, trust You, and praise You for all I am going through. Through it all, my eyes are on You; the waves and wind still know Your name. Amen

No comments: