Sunday, April 23, 2017

Equipped to Go

4/23/2017

Matthew 10.16-20 16 “I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. 17 Be on your guard; you will be handed over to the local councils and be flogged in the synagogues. 18 On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. 19 But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, 20 for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.” – Jesus

In my devotional today, it reminded me that Jesus never sends us out without equipping us for the mission. Matthew 10, is a great example of that truth. Jesus sent His men out into the mission field of the nation of Israel. He said: “Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. As you go, proclaim this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’” (Matt. 10.6-7) And so, He sent them out.

And then He said the above: I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. He equipped them for the journey with His word, and told them exactly what to do. He even told them what to expect in the form of pushback, or persecution: But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.”

These men were being sent out to convince the rest of their nation that the Kingdom of God had arrived, and that they, those very people, were invited to participate. The problem was: not all of them would believe; and many of them would be downright hostile to the invitation: who the (bleep) do you think you are!?

But Jesus, on mission from His Father, sent them on mission from Him. Although it was to be arduous, and dangerous, Jesus equipped them to go with resources they didn’t even know existed. All that was required of them was, the first step.

I am in a new season in my life. The things working against me are daunting, but I am reminded today that the journey, the mission, and the battle are the Lord’s, and He will, as He has promised, provide all I need. The greater exercise in this season is listening and waiting, and expecting my orders to move forward. And taking the first step. I’m expecting something that He will equip me for. That might only be: more of the same – but...

Where God guides, God provides. God doesn’t call the equipped, He equips the called.

And so my prayer is this: Here I am, Lord. Send me. I’ll let you know how it goes…

Father in Heaven, if You cannot be trusted in all, then You cannot be trusted at all. Thank You that not only are You the great Provider; You are also the Great Equipper. There is much work to be done and I ask for the next step – In Your Name, Amen

No comments: