Friday, April 28, 2017

Master and Dogs

4/28/2017
(Reading: Matthew 15)

Matthew 15.27 27 “Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.” – A Foreigner

Jesus was in the region of Tyre and Sidon – north and west of Jerusalem – and a local (non-Jewish) woman approached Him, crying out: “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly.” Jesus flat ignored her until his disciples began to complain: Do Something! She’s bugging us!

He then said to her: “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.” And she persisted: “Lord, help me!” One last time the Lord said, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.” Whereupon she threw the slider: “Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.” Then Jesus said to her, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment. (V. 28)

The woman had crummy faith. I’m not sure she caught Jesus in His words, there wasn’t anything to catch, but she was quick. She knew about masters and dogs. She knew masters would smack a dog for trying to get up onto the table, but didn’t seem to mind their snatching crumbs that fell to the floor. (If those masters were anything like us at our house, the dang dog got rewarded for being such a mooch! Plate licking and all…) Dogs aren't driven away, but they do have limits...

And here I think is the lesson of faith: be persistent with God: “Lord, help me!” God knows our need; He knew her need. But God is only impressed with faith, …and without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. (Hebrews 11.6) It doesn’t matter who you are or where you’re from: faith in God, gets His attention.

They aren’t magical words, but they are meaningful: Lord, help me! God wants to help those – not who help themselves – who come to Him in needy faith – crummy faith – crying out Lord, help me! God delights in those who come dependent upon Him.

Now then, He isn’t a genie, but He (according to His word) rewards those who earnestly seek him. The foreign woman was an example of someone who earnestly sought Jesus – calling Him by His proper name, and pleading: Lord, help me!

That’s faith, and that worked.

Father, thank You that You remember me in my need and You respond to my prayers accordingly. I want crummy faith, the kind that persists and honors You for who You are, and what You’ve done. Help me to share that faith with others and bring glory to You. I know I’m not a dog, but I do have needs. Lord, help me! Amen

No comments: