Monday, April 24, 2017

Willing to Learn

4/24/2017

Matthew 11.28-29 28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” – Jesus

I know lots of people who are weary and burdened. It seems like just about everyone I run into these days has something going on in their lives that is wearying or burdensome. If it’s not jobs (have or don’t have) it’s health, or relationships or fears, or unrest – something. A lot of folks are burdened by something. I know I am. And everyone has a story to tell.

Jesus said, Come to Me… that’s a command of sorts. It’s really an invitation, of sorts, but the Lord wasn’t offering it as an option among many other options a person could or couldn’t do. He says, He is the Only One who can help the weary and burdened.

So, Jesus gives us three things to do: Come to Him, take His yoke upon us, and learn from Him. Paul said we are not to be unequally yoked in marriage and in other life commitments. What he meant was we’re not to get tied up with people who are not operating within the same worldview as we are. Believers should be very careful in their dealings with those who do not submit to the Lordship of Jesus Christ.

But we, who are in the Lord, are to be yoked with the Lord. That yoking is a bonding of our life and energies with the One who is yoked identically with God the Father. If it’s good for Jesus it ought to be good for me. If that’s what Jesus does, then I ought to do the same. If I am yoked with Him then it seems I ought to be in such proximity with Him, that I learn from Him; doing what He does, saying what He says. And the payoff is rest.

Jesus isn’t stressed. He is who He is, because, He is. If that is Him, then why am I so stressed about what I have or don’t have, where I am or not? His offer is that if I hang with Him, I’ll learn from Him and last I knew, He’s pretty smart. And generous. And loving.

My trials in life are upon me, and more will come, but in Him (and with Him) I will learn to operate in His rest, and not be all, in my stressed. All I need do is learn to hang with Him.

Father, I think one of the hardest lessons of life to learn is that I am not, all that, and a bag of chips. I need You every moment of every day. And that’s where I want to be, with You. Your yoke is form-fitting and necessary as I learn to walk, and learn from You. Here I am, willing to learn from You again today. Amen

No comments: