Thursday, April 13, 2017

The Test

4/13/2017

2 Corinthians 13.7 Now we pray to God that you will not do anything wrong—not so that people will see that we have stood the test but so that you will do what is right even though we may seem to have failed. – St. Paul

I call them, my Bible Scholars. They are between 11 and 13 years old, and they are part of my Adventure Rangers group at church on Wednesday nights. We teach them about doctrine, manhood, biblical worldview, cultural issues, and sexuality. (Want to see boys squirm, bring up the topic of sex…) The thing I’ve noticed about 6th, 7th, and 8th graders is they tend to be omniscient – they know everything, and what they don’t know they make up as it goes.

Several of the boys in my group are enrolled in the Academy at our church and are pretty smart, but they are also kids. They are kids on their way into manhood, but they are kids. And like many of us who were raised in or around the church they are full of factoids – just the rote stuff they've been taught.

So, last night during our Bible Study, we talked about the advantages that Jesus employed in His earthly ministry that are also available to us. And we talked about Christ’s obedience, and His prayers. We looked at 3 different portions of Scripture, and I asked them to write down what they saw of Jesus in the passages. I pointed at my head and told them, “Don’t just tell me what’s in here.” I pointed at my heart and said, “Tell me what’s in here.” That’s where they struggled a bit, because at this point in their lives, Jesus is still mostly academic – just a bunch of factoids.

Boys will be boys until they are taught to be men, and my strategy with them is to move past the factoids of faith, and to deal with the issues of faith. I think Paul the apostle dealt with the same things with the Corinthian Church. He said to them: I’m praying to God that you’ll not do anything wrong— not so that people will see you’ve learned your factoids, but so that you will do what is right because of your relationship with Christ and what is in your heart. (My paraphrase) The Test, is that their relationship with Jesus be their guide, not just me, or some other adult telling them how to act appropriately.

And bible scholar or not, I believe this is the way for all mankind. Don’t act, or not act just because you know the rules; act because of your love for, and relationship with, Jesus Christ. Our actions will reveal a viable relationship with the Lord, and our testimony will be the reality of who we are, in Him. Anybody can obey when the attention is on – the test is what is done when the attention is off; that is what matters.

Paul dealt with a bunch of Bible Scholars in Corinth, and he told them: it’s not who you are when everyone is looking that matters; it’s who you are when they’re not looking that counts. What we know shows what we can remember. What we do in Him is what will make the difference with what we know.

Father in Heaven, it’s not what I know, but Who I know that’s what is important in this life, and the one beyond. That I may know You, and walk in ever-increasing fellowship with You, is my prayer. Help me Jesus as I try to help my bible-scholars… Amen

No comments: