Sunday, July 3, 2011

Where to Stand

7.3.2011

Isaiah 7:9 9 '...The head of Ephraim is Samaria, and the head of Samaria is only Remaliah’s son. If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all.’ NIV

What do you do when it all seems to go south? What do you do with the diagnosis, the summons, the warrant, the pink slip? I know I ask these kinds of questions all the time but I think they deserve our constant attention because stuff happens – and it happens all the time. The distance between current and past stuff varies but stuff happens.

Ahaz the King of Judah was facing an impending attack by his northern brethren (Israel) and the nation of Aram. Ahaz was given an opportunity to ask God for a sign of His provision and protection but rather than ask, Ahaz feigned humility and said, “I will not ask; I will not put the Lord to the test.” Who knows, he might’ve thought he was being set up by the prophet. What he got for his ‘humility’ however, was a stern rebuke; when God offers an opportunity it's best to take it.

The kings of Judah had two things going for them: the promise of God to David and the prophets of God to remind them of it. Despite this they had become very good at politics – politics and God don’t mix well at all. They seemed to want to look good and their rulership tended to be all about making a name for themselves. What a pity, what a waster of talent and position…

God told Ahaz, “If you don’t stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all.” In America we like to stand firm. In the church we like to stand firm. The kings of Judah liked to stand firm but they didn’t stand firm in their faith – they, like us, stood firm in their position, power, nationality and possessions. Sorry, those things don’t get the job done. What do we do when it all goes south? Who do we depend on when it all goes south? Where do we take our stand when it all goes south?

If I do not stand firm in my faith in Jesus Christ, I won’t stand at all. If I don’t stand firm in my faith everyday and remind myself of this every day then I’ll depend on something or someone else. That is utter foolishness and tantamount to spitting on the sacrifice of Christ and the promises of God – it’s that serious.

Father in Heaven,
O God, in these days may my heart be found true, as I take my stand in my faith built only upon You. May I cling to the cross as I take my stand, knowing everything else is but sinking sand. May I live my life opposed to the fall, knowing outside of Christ I won’t stand at all. Help me God – amen.

No comments: