Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Autobiography

7.27.2011

2 Peter 1:5-7 5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. NIV

It is always comforting for me to read Peter’s epistles and hear (in the voice of my mind as I read) how much Peter changed over the years. Peter, the brash and impulsive one was graciously mellowed in his old age, having been seasoned in the crucible of life’s sufferings. When I read his words I feel I am reading his autobiography.

Peter mentions self-control at least four times in his letters. Peter, as an old man came to understand the beauty and strength of self-control. Life hadn’t left him bitter – suffering made him better. Peter’s life is an encouragement to me. The changes he went through give me hope in my now later years.

I look back on my life and especially my life in Christ and I see that I have hung up my high-powered doctrine guns; there are simply too many bodies in the wake of my scathing arguments that led nowhere and often angered people to the point where they simply avoided me. Peter said if we have theses things (listed above) and own them in increasing measure, then our lives will be fruitful and productive. But if we crowd them out, we run the risk of losing sight of what is truly important: salvation in all its fullness, and relationship with God and with others who share our faith.

Self-control plays a major role in how well we relate to God and to others. Peter understood this well and had painful memories of his gaffes and yet joyous experience of walking right alongside the Savior and seeing his own life change in the process.

I’m learning, albeit ever so slowly, that self-control for me is just as beautiful and strong in my own experience as it was for Peter in his. But reading Peter is one thing, sharing his experience in Christ and through the fellowship of the Spirit is quite another. Autobiographies are not immune from embellishment if one simply wants to garner attention; however, living life openly, honestly, and humbly in the midst of suffering causes people to pay closer attention... and then perhaps ask why you are what you are…

No comments: