Monday, July 4, 2011

A Big Statement Unheard

7.4.2011

Hebrews 1:2 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe. NIV

This is a big statement that globally is largely ignored; not too many people give a rip that Jesus Christ is the Creator of the universe in all it’s vastness and diversity. Hebrews 1 tells us not only has He created the universe, but He’s also spoken to us – He still speaks to the listening heart today.

Today, is Independence Day in the US. We celebrate our independence from the tyranny of a king and his culture; however we’re still dependent on much of the world’s resources to feed our present lifestyle. We’re largely dependent on a government. We cannot love each other so we have developed a system called political correctness in order to force us to make life fair. We define freedom as the license to do anything as long as it brings us pleasure. Independence Day, what irony.

What’s really weird is that as bad and as decadent as we are, there are still millions of people who’d rather live in the US than in their own countries where it is logarithmically worse. And in the midst of all this, is the Church.

As I look around at our world I don’t get a sense of well-being. Yes, I do have much to be thankful for, yet I know it’s all short-lived. However, I do know this and in this I find hope: in these last days [God] has spoken to us by His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, and through Whom He made the universe. Our “Independence Day” may be a sham, but Jesus Christ is not and He still speaks and He still saves and He will one day right all of the wrong and bring an end to all this current crap.

Regardless of how bad it is and how bad I think it is, I am to celebrate my dependence upon Christ and share Him with anyone who will listen to the fact that He speaks and He created the universe. It is He who gives me true independence from the tyranny of this present world with its version of freedom and political correctness…

Father in Heaven,
You still speak to the listening heart. You even speak to those who aren’t listening. I pray for the filling of the Holy Spirit this day to celebrate my true freedom and to share the truth of the Speaking Christ with others – in His creative Name I pray, amen.

No comments: