Saturday, July 2, 2011

Jude Viewed

7.2.2011

Jude 1-2 1 Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and a brother of James, To those who have been called, who are loved by God the Father and kept by Jesus Christ: 2 Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance. NIV

In the quiet moments of life, how do you view yourself? I contend it’s important for us to have a healthy self-view, and to build that perspective on what the Bible says about us. Life is lived easier when we know what God thinks about us.

Jude didn’t call himself anything other than a servant of Jesus Christ and a brother of James. I too am a servant of Jesus Christ – I must always keep that foremost in my mind and let that thought rule over all I think and am. When the last day arrives I must be what I am called and yes, I could be called many things on that day but let the first and foremost be: a servant of Jesus Christ.

Jude called himself a brother of James not only because he was actually related to James by birth, but also because he was related to James by new birth. John 5 tells us there was a time in Jude’s life when he didn’t think too highly of Jesus.

And Jude wrote to those he called, “…loved by God and kept by Jesus Christ”. What greater thought is there than that – to know today we who believe are loved by God and kept by Jesus Christ!? I fear the idiocy of my ways and the propensity I have toward just plain stupid – that is, until I read a verse like this and remember the God who loves me and the Christ who saves me. I wasn’t saved to then live any old way I want; no, I was saved to remain saved, and to be of use to God and to inherit Him in all His glory on the day I go home to meet Him face to face. What greater reality is there than that – to be loved by God and kept by Jesus Christ? God loves me and Jesus keeps me – wow!

I needed that today. I need that everyday but today is all I have and I needed to be reminded today that God loves me and Jesus Christ keeps me. When I go to work in an hour and fifteen, I’ll remember that the way Jude viewed himself is the way I am to view myself: loved by God and kept by Jesus Christ.

Father God,
Amen! Help me today to recognize the reality that You love me and Jesus Christ keeps me. I am so afraid of my one potential and so assured in my other. Chisel it, set it deep in my soul – I am loved by God and kept by Jesus. Amen.

No comments: