Tuesday, July 12, 2011

What We Delight

7.12.2011

Isaiah 11:2-3(a) 2 The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him— the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord— 3(a) and he will delight in the fear of the Lord. NIV

Today, I have needs. Among all the other things I’m facing in life, I am considering a course of action and for that I need wisdom. I am looking at something for which I’ll need understanding. And if this course is the way to go, I’ll need divine power to do it, and I’ll need knowledge; and the only way to pull it off, will be through humble fear of the Lord – respect for His Name.

And if it turns out that I remain on my current path, I’ll still have needs and still need wisdom, knowledge and understanding. I’ll still need counsel and power and I can never overlook the fear of the Lord – respect for His Person and for His Name.

And regardless of my needs, today I consider my delight. The Scripture says that [He] will delight in the fear of the Lord. We do what we delight. We set aside time for those things in which we delight. We think about and speak about the things in which we delight. We often share the things in which we delight.

The temptation today is to delight in what I can get from the Lord and overlook the Lord. The temptation is to seek Him for my needs and forget Him in friendship. Jesus delighted in the fear of the Lord; in serving God, seeking God, hearing from God and obeying God. My life will be somehow empty if I seek things from God but forget Him. My life will be complete only if I conduct it from this day forth in the delight of fearing (respecting) Him and daily celebrating who He is in my life and who I am in His. Like my own kids are in my life, I am in His and He says He delights in me – I ought to at least return the favor.

Father in Heaven,
You are the Delight of my life. Without You I am incomplete and completely on my own. Today my perspective has become a little more formed to understand that I’ll do what I delight. And my delight is in You for my understanding now knows that although on earth there are many things that make big promises, there is only One God Who delivers: You! Thank You for the things that are in my life but more than any thank You for being my Delight – amen.

No comments: