Friday, July 8, 2011

Perfection Potential

7.8.2011

Hebrews 5:8-9 8 Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered 9 and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him... NIV

I can’t even pretend to know all of what the writer is saying here but I can say this: suffering always precedes perfection, and suffering always holds potential for perfection. There is no other way.

There is something mystical about suffering that escapes the notice of most. If Jesus Christ learned obedience from what He suffered then He always saw God in the midst of His suffering. Many seem to think they can become perfect by just being good and living a life of self-restraint; but something powerful happens to us when we encounter painful things that are beyond our control. When we are left with no other options and only God, something wonderful happens, perfection begins to bud.

It is often said, nobody’s perfect. I suppose that depends on your definition of perfect. I tend to disagree because of what I read in Hebrews 5. Jesus learned obedience and was made perfect. You and I are made perfectly by a perfect God and can achieve perfection in the calling of God on our lives. What is perfect anyway – when you need a pen, you really don’t care what color the ink is; you just need a pen. When you need a screwdriver, the name brand means little – you just need the tool. Suffering causes us to be different than we are/were and sets us up for the perfection of what God has called us to do. Wow!

My problem is how I continue to react to suffering. I mostly gripe and chafe under suffering because I don’t like it and take it personally. But I need to remember what it is doing to me and in me; that’s what’s important. And without suffering – well, you do the math.

Father in Heaven,
You are perfect in whatever You do and You call people like me to achieve perfection in accomplishing Your will. Help me God to learn obedience through suffering and to trust You no matter what. Because Jesus did, amen!

No comments: