Thursday, July 28, 2011

Channeled

7.28.2011

Isaiah 54:9 9 “To me this is like the days of Noah, when I swore that the waters of Noah would never again cover the earth. So now I have sworn not to be angry with you, never to rebuke you again. NIV

Have you ever wondered about the statements the Lord makes, like this one above? I think it’s important that we do if only because it reveals His character and His heart to us. Think of the magnitude of these words: So now I have sworn not to be angry with you, never to rebuke you again. That is a massive statement only because of how God has been treated since these words were recorded.

In Hebrews 12 God is quoted as saying, “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son.” (Hebrews 12:5-6 NIV) The difference is relationship and the kind of relationship. And the difference is discipline versus anger.

God’s compassion shows that He is gracious, patient, and forgiving. For God to say that He has sworn not to get angry ought to get our attention because when God says something, no matter how bad things get, it’s said; it's done; it's finished! How marvelous and gracious our God to put up with what He puts up with and always continuing to have faith in His plan to redeem us to Himself. How resolute and final His word.

Isaiah 55.10 says: “…so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” (Isaiah 55:11 NIV) This from the mouth of the One who says He will never again deal with us in anger but through Christ will help us and redeem us in love. What a God!

So, today I go out with joy and by His Holy Spirit, I am led forth in peace because my God loves me and is for me. Yes, I will bear up under His discipline but that is only to make me better through my trials and cause me to depend upon only upon Him. Today, I know the anger of the Lord has been successfully channeled away from me through the sacrifice of His Son and I am eternally safe because of it.

No comments: