Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Word at Work

05.13.14

1 Thessalonians 2.13 13 And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is indeed at work in you who believe. (NIV)

I’m glad. I’m glad Paul and his associates prayed and thanked God continually for the Thessalonians and their acceptance of the Word. I’m glad they accepted the Word for what it was: the Word of God; and I’m glad it was at work in them because of their belief. I’m glad. I’m glad it is at work in me as well.

What do we expect the Word of God to do for us? Is it just some kind of magic potion that makes us quit doing stupid things and start doing godly things? Is it just a preventative that keeps us holy, pure, and clean? Is it a formula for success? Or is it an ongoing conversation with the Almighty?

There is a key phrase at work in this verse: in you who believe. Belief is not only a key word but also a key ingredient. Without the ingredient of belief, the Word of God is just words. Just stories. Just religious mumbo jumbo. But we must also be careful with our understanding of belief.

Just because I believe something doesn’t validate its veracity. I believe some music is really good. My belief doesn’t make it good, my belief is really just my preference dressed up in different clothing. I prefer some music over other music. What I call good music is purely subjective; you may hate it. But belief is important because belief helps shape my life and in the case of God’s word, His word shapes my heart.

It is one thing to believe God’s word; it’s another to do God’s word. Doing God’s word is living according to it. That doesn’t mean sacrificing animals or observing holidays, but it does mean loving God, and by loving Him, I am enabled to love the creatures He loves: other people. If I claim to love God but cannot love His creatures then something is wrong: I don’t really believe His Word at work in me.

His word at work in me means as I read it, and apply it, my life is changed by what His word does to me. I cannot be changed much if I don’t live by His word, and I am only fooling myself if I read it, hear it, but don’t live it. And living it really can be summed up this way: loving God and loving people. The Thessalonians got it and Paul thanked God continually for their having gotten it. Simple.

My job is to love God and love people. Not just the people I find acceptable but also (and perhaps especially) the ones I find unacceptable. True, acceptability is partially preference; but more importantly, it is obedience to the One who says, “Son, as I have loved you, now you go and love others!”


Lord, by Your word at work in me by belief, may it be so! Amen.

No comments: