Monday, May 26, 2014

Respectful Belief

05.26.14

Proverbs 1.7 7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction. (NIV)

More often these days as I find there is more sand in the bottom of the hourglass than there used to be, I also find I am more interested in taking care of my body and watching the things I put into it: mentally and physically. I find I am really wondering, just what the (bleep) are GMO’s? So I want to learn more about them and why I have to go to an organization like Greenpeace to learn what I need to know… I need knowledge and I need the science behind it.

“Science (from Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge") is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe. In an older and closely related meaning, "science" also refers to a body of knowledge itself, of the type that can be rationally explained and reliably applied.” (Wikipeadia) There is a science of GMO’s and I want to know more about it. I want to fill up my scientia and figure out what to do when I do.

The classical sense of the word science includes knowledge that is testable. In other words, if one knows something to be true, one can, through various means, test and prove the veracity of such knowledge. One must be careful not to draw imprudent and premature conclusions without the test of a test. And one must use a testable test to test the knowledge.

The test in Proverbs 1.7 is this: the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge. So, the test is the volitional respect given to God because He says: try Me and test Me and see if what I say is true. To the one who does I will show him wisdom and knowledge. (Knowledge being the knowing, and wisdom, the application of such knowledge.) There is a science to belief but like everything else in the world of science, there must be a test. The first test in the knowledge of God is respectful belief that He exists: if I believe in Him, He will show Himself to me.

The difference between science and expert-ism is that science is proveable and expert-ism falls along the lines of believe as I say, not as I do. There is no proof in expertism or science (falsely so called) if it cannot be proved. Some would have us believe by the use of trickery and deceit that what they say is true. God says, respectfully believe Me and I will show you the truth. God’s veracity is proved in respectful belief.

Of course, there are consequences to ignorance, both in the sense of ignoring, and in the sense of lack of knowledge. There are dire consequences to willful ignorance: ignorance with an agenda. God calls that foolishness, (the fool says, I just ain’t gonna believe.)

At my age I also see the need to know and the need to apply what I know. I think application is one of my biggest downfalls. But God doesn’t just ask me to believe in Him, He also asks me to try Him (apply what He teaches); and I’ll find when I do, He is as right as rain. Proveable. Verity.

Father, the application of Your truth is where I struggle, so today, I ask for not only wisdom and instruction, but also a heart to apply what You reveal. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge but fools despise the tests… Help me I pray. Amen.

No comments: